Mapping Your Financial Journey: Helping Adults Plan for College
Get Financial Aid

Other Financial Aid Resources

If you are a military veteran or the spouse or dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for veterans’ educational benefits. Go to or call 1-888-442-4551.

If you want to return to college to update your job skills, find out about retraining opportunities through your state employment agency.

If you’re disabled, you may be eligible for educational benefits through your state vocational rehabilitation (VR) agency. Contact your state’s office of Health and Human Services.

If you’re willing to do national or community service in exchange for educational funding, check out AmeriCorps,; Peace Corps,; and Teach for America,

If you're employed, check with your human resources or benefits department at work to find out about tuition assistance programs, scholarships, or low- or no-interest education loans. If your employer is a restaurant or store that is part of a national chain, find out if the corporate office provides tuition reimbursement, grants, or scholarships.

If you have a low income, check out Individual Development Accounts (IDAs), created by the Corporation for Enterprise Development; Money saved in your IDA is matched by a sponsor and can be used for education. You’ll also receive financial education on such topics as cleaning up your credit and setting up a budgeting and savings schedule. Check with your bank, credit union, local housing authority, or visit for IDA programs in your area.

Read more about: Student Tax Benefits

  Search   |   Site Index   |   Glossary   |   Lesson Plans   |   Acknowledgments   |   Tell a Friend  
Page Back Page Forward

     ©2011 NEFE. All rights reserved.